Dear Jason,  

Posted by Colleen

I’ve wanted to write this letter for a long time, some of this stuff for months, but I’ve always held back. I figure now is as good a time as any. You told me that you’ve read this blog in the past and I really hope you get a chance to read this one.

I guess I’ll start with Twitter and what some of your fans have termed “cluttergate.” I knew it was a bad idea, you following fans, and I posted it at JGG the day you did. I saw right away that it was going to be a mess. The followed vs. the unfollowed. Now, I really believe you did it for the right reason but you didn’t think it through. Hey, we’re all human.

But, yep, you were right, it totally screwed up your timeline. The problem is, you should have seen that right away but instead you kept adding more people. The longer it went on, the harder it was on your fans to end up being unfollowed. Your wording… not so good. No one wants to feel like what they say is clutter. It makes them feel unimportant. And your timing was also bad. Right now, not a whole lot is going on, at least not what we can see. So it seems to me a poor time to unfollow fans.

Next, the Street Team. I resigned from your street team. There were a lot of reasons that led me to that decision but none of them had anything to do with me no longer wanting to support your career. I was the Southern California leader and I had more team members than anyone outside of Texas. But there were/are problems. I couldn’t get any responses to emails I sent out. I did get a few at the beginning but by the time I left I was getting nothing. I was a one-woman team. I realized that the hours I had spent emailing, compiling mailing lists, responding to directives, were really doing nothing to help you. I figured I could do as much on my own--- and I feel I have. I also left because I was incredibly disappointed in the leadership of your street team. By the time I resigned, many of the members of headquarters were simply disinterested in you. Yes, they did what was asked of them but they did it without the passion I felt. It seemed to become a job to them, not a labor of love. In truth, they seemed more interested in making rules and behavior guidelines for the state leaders to follow than they were in you. In fact, almost all of the regional and HQ leaders have gone on to be more interested in other artists or are simply absent. If you don’t believe me, check their tweets.

And I have to add that another reason for my leaving was YOUR lack of interest in the street team, your lack of interest in promoting yourself. In my opinion, you should have been announcing where your tour was going at least a couple of days ahead. Over and over I read people saying that they were sorry they had missed your show because they didn’t know about it ahead of time or didn’t have enough notice. Many fans are casual and they simply don’t go to your website. Also, you should have been thanking the cities and the people who came to your show--- every time. People like to be thanked. It’s just human nature. And… you should have been publicly thanking your street team. They don’t do it for the thanks. At least, I know I never did but it’s just the right thing to do when people are working their asses off for you, continually and for free.


Finally, this is the hard part. While you are still gaining followers on twitter and people are still talking about you on Facebook, (mostly from the Philippines) I guess you can see that many of your most ardent supporters seemed to have moved on. They either don’t tweet at all or they are tweeting someone new. Maybe that doesn’t mean anything. You need new fans. Every artist does. But losing fans that have hung with you for over two years can’t be good. I suppose part of that is that you aren’t currently on tour and I know that’s a complicated issue. I realize that this is not your doing and it would be a shame if people held you responsible for that. But… there are things you could be doing. Tweeting is one. Fans who have come to know you really enjoy reading your tweets. It makes them feel connected and that translates into album sales and concert tickets. It also keeps their attention on you. When other artists tweet and you don’t it’s just natural for people to go elsewhere and sadly I have seen a lot of that lately. You see, when there isn’t much happening, that is the time when you need to tweet more, not less. Random stuff is fine. Little updates on your music are always appreciated but one caveat. If you don’t want people to comment on your personal life, don’t tweet about it. You know?

Now, even though this letter is to you, I’m no fool. It’s a blog. I know other people are going to be reading it and I’ll probably catch shit for this. I might even get “fired” from my “job” as a moderator on your web site. I have learned that being a fan is a little like being back in junior high. If people don’t like what you have to say, they either talk behind your back or tell you personally what you shouldn’t have said what you did. They aren’t going to like this because I'm saying what I think right to you. I am treating you like a man, like a (gasp) real person. I happen to believe that you are both and you’d rather hear the truth than have your ass kissed. (Lord knows you get plenty of that.) You know me well enough by now to know that it’s not my style. I’m bossy, smart and I pay attention. You can listen to what I’ve said or ignore it. It’s up to you but you can believe it’s all true. I have no hidden agendas and I’m still crazy about you.

Love,

Colleen

P.S. No one lets anyone know when you've written a blog and that you are posting fan club videos. Repeated questions and emails concerning fan club pre-sale tickets and meet and greets have been ignored.

This entry was posted on Monday, July 12, 2010 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

9 comments

Ditto ALL that. And I'm still crazy about you, too.

Anonymous  

Well thats he best damn thing I've read in a long time. The truth can hurt but it helps more. Standing O for this Colleen.

AM

Anonymous  

fandom is a tricky thing... Though he's been amazing to his fans, the music is our reward. Not the tweets, or date nights,or blogs, or info on what he ate for breakfast.

There's not a band I follow that follows me back...

While it's true people may not be talking about him non-stop anymore...(he's not on TV every week) that doesn't mean they've "moved on". Liking music need not be finite.

Perhaps now he'll be more like other musicians starting out and less like a former American Idol. Which can be a good thing.

Sorry you felt so hurt, though

Funny thing is, I never felt hurt. I watched others express sadness but I tweet way too much for it to make sense for him to follow me. And I told him so.

I believe in Jason Castro and I want success for him. Reading what people who care about him say is important. And I do.

And I think he's smart enough to get it.

Sue  

I think having the guts to express our concerns only shows how much we care. You did quite an eloquent job expressing yours, Colleen, and I agree with much of what you said.

I wish Jason nothing but the best, and want so much for him to be a respected and successful recording artist. Staying in touch with his fans will only help in in that regard.

Well, I can't make my blog comment fit, so I'm going to post another blog. Sorry... but u know me. =/

Tara  

Well said Colleen. I will always Love Jason. I will always support him also. He needs the honesty and people not lying to him.I'm sure he appreciates it too.

I respect your feelings and that you share your thoughts about this, and hope that you'll do the same with what I feel.

The thing I react mostly on is the Twitter thing. It was a bad choice of words from Jason, but I'm sure he didn't mean any harm in that. You talk about the followed vs. the unfollowed, and that is the main issue here. It's obvious that Jason can't follow all his fans, and I agree in thinking he shouldn't be following any of them. But that is his choice, and he noticed that it wasn't a good idea, and did what he thought was right for him. Disappointment ofc by the ones being followed, that has been feeling special and singled out, and don't deny that that is the way you felt. I am sure that he still thinks you all are special, just like the rest of us. I'd love for Jason to find me interesting enough to follow, but I realize that he won't, and it really doesn't bother me. I don't really care how many followers I have on Twitter, the people I hang out with there are my friends, and I'm there to follow some of the artists that I am a fan of. I admit that I don't know how I would've felt if I had been in your shoes, and what you feel is what you feel, can't say anything about that.

In my opinion I think that Jason really spoilt us in the beginning of this journey. I am happy for that, it was fun! But it was ofc overwhelming to be the focus of so many peoples thoughts and actions. He wanted to do right, and to be accessable. He did the date night vids, live web casts, meet and greet after every show... which made us take for granted that this is what it's gonna be forever. But let's be realistic and say that it will not be like that all the time. Of course the fans need to be recognized by the artist, I agree on that, but he can't be treating all his fans as his best friends. It is only we ourselves that create this need for him to choose us over all things in the world. Of course he is depending on us all to buy his music, he is where he is because of us. And I am absolutely sure that he recognizes that, and try to do what he can to keep a good connection to his fans.
I have a lot of other artists that I admire and love, but have never been as engaged in someone as in Jason. And that is because of the attention he has given us all this time. I have never met him myself, but I still love his music, his beautiful voice and him as the humble and caring person that I, not knowing him, have gotten the impression that he is.

I am sorry that you feel that Jason has let you down in different ways, because the Jason I've gotten to know and love through all this, is a person that really cares about other people, and about his fans, and I'm sure he would be feeling bad if he knew how you feel.

Two Steps Back~

Thank you for reading our blog. Even though this particular post was written for and and addressed directly to Jason, most of our posts are more promotional in nature. We hope you feel free to read and comment them in the future.


Follow us on Twitter
http://twitter.com/jasonsgothgirls