On Phone-a-thons and Photo Ops  

Posted by Colleen

So often I see celebrities at charity functions. And being an intelligent person, I realize that at least some of it is for publicity. It looks good to have an artist show their altruism. And I know that some celebrities just get their pictures taken, take a couple of calls, answer a few questions. You know, basically whisk in and whisk out. I've wondered just what impact they make.

And now I know.

The following is an excerpt from a blog written by family members of a boy being treated at Boston's Childrens' Hospital. It brought me to the tears I am now shedding. Tears of empathy for Cody and his family. Tears of embarrassment for feeling so jaded. Sometimes these "photo ops" touch hearts. They make a difference even if it's just for a moment.

It was just so beautiful and really spoke to me. This has been a difficult time and we often aren’t completely in touch with our emotions about it. I find myself being strong at the hospital and then crying at commercials. This time, I was crying right there in the hospital for the reasons that I was actually hurting. Just so real.

Read the rest of the blog here:

Maybe you can help Cody in your way ....like Jason Castro did.





Photo courtesy of Life Magazine

More photos here

This entry was posted on Sunday, March 07, 2010 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

I hope Jason is aware that his unique position makes it possible to touch the lives of many people...now...while he's still somewhat unaffected by the business. I worry that he'll become jaded by this process. That would be a sad day. Seeing him interact with people on this level is very touching and only reinforces why I've pledged my support to him in the first place.

May God bless Cody and his family.

Anonymous  

Oh my, I am a puddle right now. Thanks for posting that Colleen. I have no doubt that Jason will always be wiling to do things like this, no matter how successful he becomes. Not for promotion, not for publicity, but just to help others. He was raised that way and lives his life that way. God bless Cody.