A Tribute to Our Veterans  

Posted by Melinda

Hopefully, Jason won't mind taking a back seat for a moment while we honor the men and women of the United States military.

This is very personal to me as many members of my family have served and are still serving in the military including my dad (US Army during the Vietnam War) and my brother (Army National Guard). I am certain that one of our original members' (Ambergotskillz) father currently serves our country as well.

Whether you agree or disagree with the cause for which they are fighting, they are worthy of our respect and gratitude. We are free today because of them. Their sacrifices will never be forgotten.

If you have family members and friends in the United States military, please honor them by commenting this blog post, and if you've never seen this video, please take a few minutes to watch it.

American Soldier, Toby Keith (please listen to the lyrics)


Looking for something patriotic to watch this Veteran's Day? I recommend Saving Private Ryan. Set during World War II...one of the most honorable wars in the history of our nation...it has been recognized by veterans who fought the battle of Omaha Beach and lived to tell about it as the most realistic cinematic representation of the war they had ever seen. It is graphic, yes, but it will make your heart swell with pride and make you even prouder to be an American. The story line is beautiful, and the cast, featuring the likes of Tom Hanks and Matt Damon, is perfection. Directed by Steven Spielberg.

This entry was posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

10 comments

Anonymous  

DAMMIT THIS MADE ME CRY. :[

please pray for the troops and there families. they do sooo much.
it takes SO MUCH to be in a "militar family." Like Melinda said, whether or not you agree with the war these people are fighting to keep you safe. <3

btw, i have another video to add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN4wNKEwzEY

it's really sad but really eye opening.

Anonymous  

Great idea Mel, glad you blogged about this.

Although I'm Canadian, this still touches me, and effects me. I've had two very good friends of mine who went over seas in the past 2 years. Both - thank god - have come back safe and sound. I can remember numerous times hearing on the news 'another Canadian souldier lost' and my heart would drop thinking that it could possible be them. I can't even imagine what their families or girlfriends or wives must have felt while they were away.

So on Rememberance day, not only should we remember the veterens of the past - but the souldiers of today, and their families and loved ones at home.

Beautiful Melinda....this made me cry.

Although I do not have any family members or friends in the military, this is still something that touches my heart deeply. These brave men and women are fighting everyday to secure our freedom.

Please remember to keep them in your thoughts and prayers, not just on Veteran's Day, but everyday. They are our true heroes.

Just lovely, Darlin. You do a Goth Girl proud. Beautiful, sensitive, smart.

This is absolutely beautiful Mel- thank you so much.

Anonymous  

Mel, thanks for the reminder. I know everytime I see someone in uniform my heart swells with pride. Our world isnt always a pretty place to be but our soldiers both past and present deserve our gratitude daily.

Anonymous  

Thanks for doing that Frick. My daughter and I watched it together and it sparked a conversation on Iraq and Afghanistan, her grandfather who's a veteran, "responsibly" pulling out of the war, what it must be like for families left behind, why people want to serve, why we went over there - all sorts of things, as you can imagine. It made us both emotional. So thanks a lot for making my daughter cry, bitch. (j/k) With power, comes responsibility - so it's good when a crazy bitch in charge brings our attention to these things.

Anonymous  

Thanks for the reminder and sweet tribute, Mel.

Our nephew is a family/sports medicine doctor in the Navy.
He went from taking care of ear infections :) to being stationed at a small Marine base in Iraq where he had to patch together young marines so they could live through the helicopter ride to the hospital.

We are proud of him and also his wife and four daughters who waited at home.

I know it's probably sappy but this video from "So You Think You Can Dance" always touches me as I think of all the military families answering the call to duty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0ZOo6qK7U

That was a touching song.... I dont know how it really feels to be part of all this. Its so difficult for me to grasp that feeling. For many of us foreigners that are born HK - (which is not even a country if you know what I mean) and have never lived in our country of origin are definitely not patriotic. Its a very strange situation and its hard to explain.

This doesnt mean that we do not respect other countries decisions to send their troops overseas and each soldier should be honoured and remembered for their services..

thanks for posting this Melinda. my father is a Vietnam vet too, but he was a Marine.